All situations involving barricaded individuals, the taking of hostages, and/or deadly force (i.e. firearm) must be immediately referred to the BCD Security Office at 214-8288335 (pager: 214-582-7300). The Security Office will immediately notify the Dallas Police Department at 9911 and The Baylor University Medical Center Public Safety Office at 214-820-4444.
- REMAIN CALM. Note if and/or how the suspect is armed and attempt to obtain a physical description.
- The Security Office will send officers to the scene, who will secure the affected area and evacuate people in immediate potential danger.
- If you are taken hostage, cooperate with the suspect. Do not challenge him or her. Remain alert to opportunities for a safe escape. Rescue will only be attempted if it can be accomplished without further endangering persons inside the secured area.
- If you are in the affected area and are unable to leave safely, remain low and seek cover under a desk or other sturdy furniture, silence cell phones, turn off the computer monitors, and turn off the lights until help arrives.
- The Security Office and Dallas Police Officers will establish a command post near the scene. The following departments will be advised of the hostage situation:
a. Dean’s Office
214-828-8201 b. Communications and Development 214-828-8214 c. Facilities Services
214-828-8250 d. Environmental Health & Safety 214-828-8301