Chair: Dr. David M. Grogan
The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (OMS) provides a broad educational basis for our predoctoral and residency programs as well as serving the community through our Professional Services Division.
The interaction with a renowned medical center enhances our students’ surgical/medical experiences. Our student’s educational experiences are also enhanced by the presence of the Center for Maxillofacial Prosthodontics within our department.
The OMS department is staffed by 7 full-time faculty, 12 part-time clinical faculty, 16 OMS residents, and supported by the assistance of 22 clinical and clerical staff. Collectively, the clinics of this department manage approximately 14-16% of all patients treated at Baylor College of Dentistry. Chairman of the department is Dr. David M. Grogan.
Components of the department include:
- The Center for Maxillofacial Prosthodontics, which was dedicated in 2001, provides an exciting new presence in the North Texas region to assist in the reconstruction of acquired and congenital defects of oral and facial deformities - one of three such centers in the US.
- The Professional Services Clinic is the Faculty's intramural private practice clinic. The clinic offers a full range of oral and maxillofacial surgery services on an inpatient and outpatient basis. The Board-certified faculty concurrently function as members of the Medical Staff of Baylor University Medical Center, whose grounds the Baylor College of Dentistry shares. Faculty patients thus can be admitted to the hospital for more complex procedures.
- The Predoctoral (Undergraduate) and Graduate (Residents') clinics provide patient care by dental students and OMS residents under faculty supervision, at reduced fees.
- Anesthesia Services - The department arranges for contracted general anesthesia services for patients having dental or medical procedures done at the surgical suite located within our department. Other departments, such as Pediatric Dentistry and Advanced Education in General Dentistry, also utilize the OMS operating rooms and anesthesia services. The teaching program is involved in teaching dental, dental hygiene, graduate and post- graduate students in the areas of oral and maxillofacial surgery, pain and anxiety control, management of medical emergencies, management of medically compromised patients. The faculty are prominently involved nationally in establishing competency-based objectives for dentistry in all of these teaching areas, and many OMS faculty are involved at a national level in evaluating competency in dental students and dentists.
- Clinical and basic research - Full-time and several part-time OMS faculty conduct important clinical and basic research in many areas of surgical science, including studies on bone morphogenetic proteins, salivary function, dental implantology, distraction osteogenesis, sleep apnea, oral cancer, patient information writing, and many others. BCD contains excellent facilities and affiliations for these clinical and laboratory investigations. Faculty mentor the pre- and postdoctoral students in research, leading to student presentations and publications at the local, state, regional, and national levels.
- Community Service - Faculty members involve themselves in the community through continuing education course offerings, as consultants, and committee memberships at local, state, national and inter-national levels.
About Baylor College of Dentistry
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry in Dallas has been a distinguished resource for dental education in Texas for more than 100 years. The college is dedicated to combining higher education and research with community service.
About Baylor University Medical Center
Baylor University Medical Center - Dallas (BUMC) is recognized at national and international levels as one of the premier hospital systems in the United States, one of the largest not-for-profit hospitals, and is a Level 1 trauma center.
About Texas A&M Health Science Center
Texas A&M Health Science Center is located at 301 Tarrow St., College Station, Texas 77840-7896. For more information about TAMHSC go to: Texas A&M Health Science Center.