Skip navigation menu
Sterling R. Schow
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
3302 Gaston Ave.
Dallas, Texas 75246
Education and Post-Graduate Training
- University of Oregon School of Dentistry ~ DMD in Dentistry, 1966
- William Beaumont Army Medical Center ~ General Practice Residency, 1967
- Brooke Army Medical Center ~ Certificate in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 1973
- Diplomate, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 1976
Participates in the Faculty Intramural private practice, Professional Services.
After completing a 20-year career in the U.S. Army Dental Corps and retiring from the military in 1986 with the rank of Colonel, Dr. Schow was recruited to BCD to serve as the OMS Residency Program Director. He has done so for more than 22 years, and during that time the program has grown both in size and stature. The OMS Residency program is nationally recognized as one of the top training programs in the nation, and the training positions are highly sought after each year.
Dr. Schow also serves as a consultant in OMS to the Commission on Accreditation of the American Dental Association and as an examiner for the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. He is a peer reviewer for several professional journals, and has written chapters for numerous professional textbooks. His primary surgical interests include facial trauma, reconstructive surgery, dental implants, orthognathic surgery and dentoalveolar surgery. He continues to serve as a consultant for numerous military OMS training programs nationwide.Academic Appointments
- Texas A&M Health Science Center Baylor College of Dentistry, Dallas, Texas ~ Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery ~ Professor 2008-present
- Texas A&M University System Health Science Center, Baylor College of Dentistry, Dallas, Texas ~ Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Pharmacology ~ Professor, Director of Postgraduate Surgical Residency Training 1996-2008
- Baylor College of Dentistry, Dallas, Texas ~ Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Pharmacology ~ Professor, Director of Postgraduate Surgical Residency Training 1992-1996
- Baylor College of Dentistry, Dallas, Texas ~ Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery ~ Associate Professor, Director of Surgical Residencies 1986-1992
- Lactosorb Trays for Use in Autogenous Grafting in Mandibular Continuity Defects. Supported by Walter Lorenz Surgical.
- Randomized, Double-masked, Placebo-controlled Dose Escalation Study Evaluating rhBMP-2/Absorbable Collagen Sponge for Localized Alveolar Ridge Augmentation of Buccal Wall Defects. Supported by Genetics Institute.
- Randomized, Parallel Evaluation of rhBMP-2/Absorbable Collagen Sponge and Standard Bone Grafting Materials for Maxillary Sinus Floor Augmentation. Supported by Genetics Institute.
- Schow SR, Mansfield M, August M. Management and pathology of odontogenic tumors. In: AAOMS Knowledge Update, Vol 4. In Press. E. Carlson and G. Lutcavage, eds.
- Schow SR, Parel S. The zygoma implant. Peterson’s Principles of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2nd ed. P. Waite, M. Miloro and G. Ghali, eds. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, BC Decker, Inc. In Press.
- Mazock JB, Schow SR, Triplett RG. Poster iliac crest bone harvest: review of technique, complications and use of an epidural catheter for postoperative pain control. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:1497-1503, 2003
- Veltkamp T, Buschang PH, English JO, Schow SR. Predicting lower lip and chin response to mandibular advancement and genioplasty. Am J Ortho and Dentofacial Orthopedics 122:627-634, 2002.
- Parel SM, Ruff SL, Triplett RG, Schow SR. Bone reduction surgical guide for the Novum implant procedure: Technical Note. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 17:715-719, 2002.
- Schow SR, Miloro JR. Diseases of the salivary glands. In: Peterson LJ, ed. Contemporary Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 4th ed, St. Louis, MO: C.V. Mosby, Aug. 2002.
- Schow SR. Diseases of the maxillary sinus. In: Peterson LJ, ed. Contemporary Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 4th ed, St. Louis, MO: C.V. Mosby, Aug. 2002.
- Triplett RG, Schow SR, Fields RT. Bone augmentation with and without biodegradable and nonbiodegradable microporous membranes. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin of North America 13(3):411-422, 2001.
- Schow SR, Triplett RG. Implants in radiation treated facial bones. In Selected Readings in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 8:1, 2000
- Triplett RG, Schow SR and Laskin DM. Oral and maxillofacial surgery advances in Implant Dentistry. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 15:47-55, 2000
- Lilly LC, Schow SR, Triplett RG. Recombinant bone morphogenetic protein-2 for maxillary sinus grafting. In: Jensen OT, ed. The Sinus Bone Graft, Chicago, IL: Quintessence Publishing Co., Inc., November 1998.
- American Dental Association
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- North Texas Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Western Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Dental Education Association, and others.
Last edited by: aupton