Dr. Sandra McCarthy
Department of Restorative Sciences
3302 Gaston Ave.
Dallas, Texas 75246
Education and Post-Graduate Training
- Baylor College of Dentistry, Certificate in Prosthodontics. 1984.
- Marquette University School of Dentistry, DDS. 1982.
- Marquette University, BS, Biology & Chemistry. 1978.
Baylor College of Dentistry
- Associate Professor, Full-time faculty, Removable Prosthodontics Division, Department Restorative Sciences. 1998 - present.
- Assistant Professor, Full-time faculty, Removable Prosthodontics Division, Department Restorative Sciences. 1987 - 1998.
- Clinical Instructor, Part-time faculty, Removable Prosthodontics Division, Department Restorative Sciences. 1982 - 1987.
A. Extramural grants funded or in process:
- "A Study of Titanium Removable Partial Dentures", Baylor College of Dentistry, $3500"; principal investigator. 1990-1994
- "Evaluation of a Study Model for Posterior Composite Restorations", Baylor College of Dentistry, $26,400; co-investigator. 1989-1991
- Bolouri A, McCarthy SL: The use of pre-border-molded custom trays in complete denture fabrication. J Prosthet Dent 2001;86: 655-657. 2001.
- Bolouri A, McCarthy SL: A procedure for relining a complete or removable partial denture without the use of wax. J Prosthet Dent 1998; 79: 604-606. 1998.
- Bolouri A, McCarthy SL: Fabrication of an acrylic resin record base with a gauze matrix. J Prosthet Dent 1998; 79: 236-237. 1997.
- McCarthy SL: Fabrication of a duplicate denture from an existing complete denture. J. Prosthodont 1995; 4: 54-57. 1994.
- Bolouri A, McCarthy SL: A protective guard for an osseointegrated implant superstructure. J. Prosthet Dent 1994; 72:671. 1994
- Hummel SK, Marker VA, Pace L, McCarthy SL, Ford P. Retentive force of Ti vs. Co-Cr RPD Clasps. J Dent Res 73: 1483, 1994. Oral presentation at 1994 IADR General Session. 1993
- Thompson SP, Marker VA, McCarthy SL, Marker BC. Thermal response of Ni-Cr vs. Ti as denture palate material. J. Dent. Res. 71:1418, 1992.
Specialty Training/Board Certifications
- Successfully completed parts 3, 4, 5 and the patient presentation portion of part 2 of the examination for certification by the American Board of Prosthodontists. 1994.
- Successfully completed Part 1 of the examination for certification by the American Board of Prosthodontists. 1991.
- Passed Central Regional Dental Boards; received licensure for Wisconsin in 1987.
- Passed Texas State Dental Boards; received licensure for Texas in 1982
- National Marrow Donor Program. 1993-2000
- American Dental Education Association. 1993-Present
- Alumni Association, Baylor College of Dentistry. 1992-present
- Southwest Prosthodontic Society. 1991-1997
- Century Club, Baylor College of Dentistry. 1991- 1995
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon. 1991 - present
- American College of Prosthodontists. 1988-1995
- Federation of Prosthodontic Organizations. 1988-1994
- North Texas Chapter of The American College of Prosthodontics. 1988-1992
- Garland Dental Study Club. 1985-1986
- Arlington Dental Study Club. 1986-1989
- Texas Dental Association. 1984-Present
- Dallas County Dental Society. 1984-Present
- Texas Association of Women Dentists. 1984-Present
- Dallas Area Association of Women Dentists. 1984-1985
- Women's Forum of America-Synchronexus. 1984-1985
- Academy of General Dentistry. 1982-1987
- Marquette University Alumni Association. 1982-present
- American Association of Women Dentists. 1980-Present
- American Dental Association. 1979-Present
- Wisconsin Dental Association Greater Milwaukee Dental Association. 1979-1985
- American Association of Dental Schools. 1979-1980
- Awarded Good Fellow status Dallas County Dental Society. 2005
- Certification of Appreciation for service to Texas Association of Women Dentists. 1996
- Welcoming Diversity Poster Contest, Baylor College of Dentistry, first place winner. 1993
- Certificate of Appreciation from the Baylor College of Dentistry graduating class of 1991.
- Elected to Faculty membership in Omicron Kappa Upsilon. 1991
- D.D.S. attained with Honorable Mention. 1982
- Dean's List, Marquette University. 1976-1978
- Four year Marquette Scholarship. 1974-1978
- One year Honor Scholarship. 1974-1975
- "Is Dentistry for You?" Presentation at Middle School Tours for Project Dental Awareness, Baylor College of Dentistry. April 2000
- "Preparing Your Prosthodontic Case for the Laboratory"; Baylor chapter of the Texas Association of Women Dentists, open attendance, undergraduate and graduate students; 1 hour. April 1993
- "Dentistry as a Career"; one hour slide presentation and hands on experience; presented or directed at Expanding Your Horizons in Math and Science, a conference for young women interested in math and Science: 1992-present at Texas Wesleyan University (Expanding your Horizons); 1990 University of Texas-Dallas with Richardson ISD
Committee Activities and Offices
1) Baylor Institutional
2008-2009 Student Promotions Committee, alternate
2006 - present Admissions Committee
2005- 2007 Task Force to review Academic and Disciplinary Due Process Document for Students
2005 - 2006 Task Force on New Faculty Orientation
2005-present Instrument Committee
2005-2007 OSCE Restorative Sciences Team member
2004-present Committee on Committees; Chairman '05-06, '08-‘09
2000-2006 Student Promotions Committee; V. chair '05-‘06
2000-2003 Faculty Development Committee
2) Additional Institutional:
1997 Faculty member of the alumni-faculty-student committee to develop a mentorship program that extends from entry into dental school into the practicing dental community.
1996- 1999 Student Promotions Committee
1996- 1997 Course Review Team Member (Accreditation process)
1996 Focus group member regarding TAMUS / BCOD merge
1993-1994 Admissions Committee (Recruitment)
1992 Budget Advisory Committee appointment
1990-1994 Catalog Committee (Secretary January 1993present)
1990-present Awards Committee
1988 Developed "Guidelines for Infectious Disease Control in the Department of Removable Prosthodontics".
1988-1994 Counselor, third year dental students
1988-1990 Infectious Disease Control Committee (Secretary Aug. 1988-July 1990)
1987-1988 Department Subcommittee Infection Control
1987-1989 Teaching Committee (subcommittee chair for Teaching Evaluation Forms)