Yongbo (Bob) Lu
Department of Biomedical Sciences
3302 Gaston Ave.
Dallas, Texas 75246
Education and Post-Graduate Training
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Department of Oral Biology, School of Dentistry, University of Missouri-Kansas City (2007-2008)
Ph.D., Department of Oral Biology, School of Dentistry, University of Missouri-Kansas City (2007)
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Department of Oral Biology, School of Dentistry, University of Missouri-Kansas City (1999-2002)
M.S., Qingdao Medical College, Shandong, China (1997)
M.D., Qingdao Medical College, Shandong, China (1994)
Assistant Professor, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Texas A&M Health Science Center Baylor College of Dentistry (2009-present)
Instructor, Department of Medical Microbiology, Medical College of Qindao University, Shandong, China (1997-1999)
Tooth morphogenesis is a highly dynamic process that is regulated by the sequential and reciprocal interactions between the dental epithelium and underlying dental mesenchyme. A number of signaling molecules as well as transcription factors have been implicated in such interactions, including members of the Wnt, fibroblast growth factor (FGF), transforming growth factor β (TGF-β), and hedgehog families, and transcription factors such as Msx1, Dlx, Pax9, Runx2 and Twist1. Transgenic mouse and human genetic studies have shown that they play essential roles in tooth development.
My current research is mainly focused on odontogenesis to study how cranial neural crest cells migrate to the frontonasal processes and first branchial arches and how they interact reciprocally with the dental epithelium and differentiate into the odontoblasts forming dentin. Particularly, I am interested in the roles of Wnt/β-catenin signaling, FGF signaling, as well as transcription factors Runx2 and Twist1, in odontogenesis, using a transgenic mouse model, in vitro tooth germ culture, and time-lapse imaging approaches. These studies will bring us further insights into the the molecular mechanisms of tooth morphogenesis and will also provide molecular clues for the screening and treatment of human genetic diseases.
- Gibson MP, Zhu Q, Wang S, Liu Q, Liu Y, Wang X, Yuan B, Ruest LB, Feng JQ, D'Souza RN, Qin C, Lu Y. The rescue of dentin matrix protein 1 (DMP1)-deficient tooth defects by the transgenic expression of dentin sialophospho protein (DSPP) indicates that DSPP is a downstream effector molecule of DMP1 in dentinogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2013; 288:7204-14.
- Gibson MP, Liu Q, Zhu Q, Lu Y, Jani P, Wang X, Liu Y, Paine ML, Snead ML, Feng JQ, Qin C. Role of the NH2-terminal fragment of dentin sialophosphotein in dentinogenesis. Eur J Oral Sci. 2013; 121:76-85.
- Lu Y, Li Y, Cavender AC, Wang S, Mansukhani A, D’Souza RN. Molecular studies on the roles of Runx2 and Twist1 in regulating FGF signaling. Dev Dyn. 2012; 241:1708-15.
- Wang X, Wang S, Li C, Gao T, Liu Y, Rangiani A, Sun Y, Hao J, George A, Lu Y, Groppe J, Yuan B, Feng J, Qin C. Inactivation of a novel FGF23 regulator, FAM20C, leads to hypophosphatemic rickets in mice. PloS Genetics. 2012; 8 (5): e1002708.
- Wang X, Wang S, Lu Y, Gibson MP, Liu Y, Yuan B, Feng JQ, Qin C. FAM20C plays an essential role in the formation of murine teeth. J Biol Chem. 2012; 287:35934-42.
- Zhu Q, Prasad M, Kong H, Lu Y, Sun Y, Wang X, Yamoah A, Feng JQ, Qin C. Partial blocking of mouse DSPP processing by substitution of Gly(451)-Asp(452) bond suggests the presence of secondary cleavage site(s). Connect Tissue Res. 2012; 53:307-312.
- Zhu Q, Gibson MP, Liu Q, Liu Y, Lu Y, Wang X, Feng JQ, Qin C. Proteolytic processing of dentin sialophosphoprotein (DSPP) is essential to dentinogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2012; 287:30426-35.
- Lu Y, Feng J. FGF23 in skeletal modeling and remodeling. Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2011; 9:103-108.
- Lu Y, Yuan B, Qin C, Cao Z, Xie Y, Dallas S, McKee M, Drezner M, Bonewald L, Feng J. The biological function of DMP-1 in osteocyte maturation is mediated by its 57-kDa C-terminal fragment. J Bone Miner Res. 2011; 26:331-340.
- Zhang R, Lu Y, Ye L, Yuan B, Yu S, Qin C, Xie Y, Gao T, Drezner MK, Bonewald LF, Feng JQ. Unique roles of phosphorus in endochondral bone formation and osteocyte maturation. J Bone Miner Res. 2011; 26:1047-56.
- Sun Y, Lu Y, Chen L, Gao T, D'Souza R, Feng JQ, Qin C. DMP1 processing is essential to dentin and jaw formation. J Dent Res. 2011; 90:619-624.
- Jiang B, Cao Z, Lu Y, Janik C, Lauziere S, Xie Y, Poliard A, Qin C, Ward LM, Feng JQ. DMP1 C-terminal mutant mice recapture the human ARHR tooth phenotype. J Bone Miner Res. 2010; 25:2155-64.
- Lv K, Huang H, Lu Y, Qin C, Li Z, Feng JQ. Circling behavior developed in Dmp1 null mice is due to bone defects in the vestibular apparatus. Int J Biol Sci. 2010; 6:537-545.
- Peng T, Huang B, Sun Y, Lu Y, Bonewald L, Chen S, Butler W, Feng J, D'Souza R, Qin C. Blocking of proteolytic processing and deletion of glycosaminoglycan side chain of mouse DMP1 by substituting critical amino acid residues. Cells, Tissues, Organs. 2009; 189:192-197.
- Lu Y, Qin C, Xie Y, Bonewald LF, Feng JQ. Studies of the DMP1 57 kDa functional domain both in vivo and in vitro. Cells Tissues Organs. 2009;189(1-4):175-85.
- Huang B, Maciejewska I, Sun Y, Peng T, Qin D, Lu Y, Bonewald L, Butler WT, Feng J, Qin C. Identification of full-length dentin matrix protein 1 in dentin and bone. Calcif Tissue Int. 2008 May;82(5):401-10.
- Lu Y, Liu S, Xie Y, Yu S, Quarles L, Bonewald LF, Feng JQ. Use of the transgenic approach to determine the role of DMP1 in phosphate regulation. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact. 2007 Oct-Dec;7(4):309.
- Lu Y, Xie Y, Zhang S, Dusevich V, Bonewald LF, Feng JQ. DMP1-targeted Cre expression in odontoblasts and osteocytes. J Dent Res. 2007 Apr;86(4):320-5.
- Lu Y, Ye L, Yu S, Zhang S, Xie Y, McKee MD, Li YC, Kong J, Eick JD, Dallas SL, Feng JQ. Rescue of odontogenesis in Dmp1-deficient mice by targeted re-expression of DMP1 reveals roles for DMP1 in early odontogenesis and dentin apposition in vivo. Dev Biol. 2007 Mar 1;303(1):191-201.
- Feng JQ, Ward LM, Liu S, Lu Y, Xie Y, Yuan B, Yu X, Rauch F, Davis SI, Zhang S, Rios H, Drezner MK, Quarles LD, Bonewald LF, White KE. Loss of DMP1 causes rickets and osteomalacia and identifies a role for osteocytes in mineral metabolism. Nature Genetics. 2006 Nov; 38(11):1310-5.
- Zhang K, Barragan-Adjemian C, Ye L, Kotha S, Dallas M, Lu Y, Zhao S, Harris M, Harris SE, Feng JQ, Bonewald LF. E11/gp38 selective expression in osteocytes: regulation by mechanical strain and role in dendrite elongation. Mol Cell Biol. 2006 Jun; 26(12):4539-52.
- Lu Y, Zhang S, Xie Y, Pi Y, Feng JQ. Differential regulation of dentin matrix protein 1 expression during odontogenesis. Cells Tissues Organs. 2005; 181(3-4):241-7.
- Lu Y*, Yang W*, Kalajzic I, Guo D, Harris MA, Gluhak-Heinrich J, Kotha S, Bonewald LF, Feng JQ, Rowe DW, Turner CH, Robling AG, Harris SE. Dentin matrix protein 1 gene cis-regulation: use in osteocytes to characterize local responses to mechanical loading in vitro and in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2005 May 27; 280 (21):20680-90.
- Ling Y, Rios HF, Myers ER, Lu Y, Feng JQ, Boskey AL. DMP1 depletion decreases bone mineralization in vivo: an FTIR imaging analysis. J Bone Miner Res. 2005 Dec; 20(12): 2169-77.
- Yang W, Kalajzic I, Lu Y, Guo D, Harris MA, Gluhak-Heinrich J, Bonewald LF, Feng JQ, Rowe DW, Harris SE. In vitro and in vivo study on osteocyte-specific mechanical signaling pathways. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact. 2004 Dec; 4(4):386-7.
- Ye L, MacDougall M, Zhang S, Xie Y, Zhang J, Li Z, Lu Y, Mishina Y, Feng JQ. Deletion of dentin matrix protein-1 leads to a partial failure of maturation of predentin into dentin, hypomineralization, and expanded cavities of pulp and root canal during postnatal tooth development. J Biol Chem. 2004 Apr 30; 279(18): 19141-8.
- Lu Y*, Feng JQ*, Huang H*, Ye L, Xie Y, Tsutsui TW, Kunieda T, Castranio T, Scott G, Bonewald LB, Mishina Y. The dentin matrix protein 1 (Dmp1) is specifically expressed in mineralized, but not soft, tissues during development. J Dent Res. 2003 Oct; 82(10):776-80.
- Zhang J, Tan X, Contag CH, Lu Y, Guo D, Harris SE, Feng JQ. Dissection of promoter control modules that direct Bmp4 expression in the epithelium-derived components of hair follicles. Biochem and Biophys Res Commun. 2002 May 24; 293(5):1412-9.
- Feng JQ, Zhang J, Dallas SL, Lu Y, Chen S, Tan X, Owen M, Harris SE, MacDougall M. Dentin matrix protein-1 gene, a target molecule of Cbfa 1 in bone, is a unique bone marker gene. J Bone Miner Res. 2002 Oct; 17(10):1822-31.
- Feng JQ, Zhang J, Tan X, Lu Y, Guo D, Harris SE. Identification of cis-DNA regions controlling Bmp4 expression during tooth morphogenesis in vivo. J Dent Res. 2002 Jan; 81(1):6-10.
- The 9th International Conference on the Chemistry and Biology of Mineralized Tissues New Investigator Award (2007)
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) 28th Annual Meeting Young Investigator Award (2006)
- ASBMR-International Chinese Hard Tissue Society (ICHTS) Webster Jee Young Investigator Award (2005)