Department of Biomedical Sciences
Member of the GSBS Faculty
3302 Gaston Ave.
Dallas, Texas 75246
Education and Post-Graduate Training
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Microbiology, Washington University, St. Louis, MO (1988-1994)
Ph.D., Microbiology, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS (1988)
B.S., Biology, Kansas State University, Manhatten, KS (1980)
Associate Professor, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Texas A&M Health Science Center Baylor College of Dentistry (2008-present)
Assistant Professor, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Texas A&M Health Science Center Baylor College of Dentistry (2002-2008)
Assistant Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of South Florida College of Medicine (1997-2002)
Research Assistant Professor, Washington University, St. Louis, MO (1994-1997)
Teaching responsibilities include:
Dental Microbiology and Dental Hygiene Microbiology
The long-term objective of my research is to understand the process by which Streptococcus mutans transports and metabolizes carbohydrates.
This process is the key factor in the formation of dental caries. We are interested in the global regulatory mechanisms that control gene expression of the phosphoenolpyruvate-dependent phosphotransferase system (PTS) that is responsible for carbohydrate uptake in this organism.
Many of the processes involved can be applied to the study of other Gram-positive organisms.
We are also initiating studies into other oral diseases, in particular, periodontitis.
The development of a functional model to study periodontal disease would be a great benefit to oral health research.
- Regulation of the S. mutans phosphotransferase system. NIH NIDCR DE10890, 1988-2004.
- Periodontal ligament cell 3-D tissue model. TAMHSC VPRGS Research Development Grant, 01/2006 to 12/2006.
- Analysis of carbohydrate transport specificity in S. mutans. NIH NIDCR Pathogen Functional Genomics Resource Center Award.
- Identification of P. gingivalis virulence factors. NIH NIDCR Pathogen Functional Genomics Resource Center Award.
- Honeyman, A.L. and G.C. Stewart (1988). Identification of the protein encoded by rodC, a cell division gene from Bacillus subtilis. Mol Microbiol 2:735-742.
- Honeyman, A.L. and G.C. Stewart (1989). The nucleotide sequence of the rodC operon on Bacillius subtilis. Mol Microbiol 3:1257-68.
- Jagusztyn-Krynicka, E.K., J.B. Hansen, V.L. Crow, T.D. Thomas, A.L. Honeyman, and R. Curtiss III (1992). Streptococcus mutans serotype c tagatose-6-phosphate pathway gene cluster. J Bacteriol 174: 6152-58.
- Honeyman, A.L. and R. Curtiss (1993) Isolation, characterization, and nucleotide sequence of the Streptococcus mutans lactose-specific Enzyme II (lacG) gene. J Gen Microbiol 139:2685-94.
- Boyd, D. A., T. Thevenot, M. Gumbmann, A. L. Honeyman, and I. R. Hamilton (2000). Identification of the protein encoded for the sorbitol (glucitol) phosphenolpyruvate:sugar phosphotransferase system in Streptococcus mutans. Infect Immun 68: 925-930.
- Honeyman, A. L. and R. Curtiss III (2000). The mannitol-specific Enzyme II (mtlA) gene and the mtlR gene of the PTS of Streptococcus mutans. Microbiol 146:1565-72.
- Cote, C. K., D. Cvitkovitch, A. S. Bleiweis, and A. L. Honeyman (2000). A novel -glucoside-specific PTS locus from Streptococcus mutans that is not inhibited by glucose. Microbiol 146:1555-63.
- Cote, C. K., and A. L. Honeyman (2002). The transcriptional regulation of the Streptococcus mutans bgl regulon. Oral Microbiol Immunol 17:1-8.
- Honeyman, A. L., C. Cote, and R. Curtiss III (2002). Construction of transcriptional and translational lacZ reporter plasmids for use in Streptococcus mutans. J Microbiol Meth 9:163-171.
- Cote, C. K., and A. L. Honeyman (2003). The LicT protein acts as both a positive and a negative regulator of loci within the bgl regulon of Streptococcus mutans. Microbiol 149:1333-40.
- Schmacht, D., B. Johnson, K. Pierre, J. Wilson, M. Back, A. L. Honeyman, D. Cuthbertson, and D. Bandyk (2005). Graft infectivity of rifampin and silver-bonded polyester grafts to MRSA contamination. Vascular and Endovascular Surgery 39:411-420.
- Dunavant, T. R., J. D. Regan, G. N. Glickman, E. S. Solomon, and A. L. Honeyman (2006). Comparative evaluation of endodontic irrigants against E. faecalis biofilms. J Endodon 32:527-531.
- Cote, C. K., and A. L. Honeyman (2006). Transcriptional analysis of the bglP gene from Streptococcus mutans. BMC Microbiol 6:37.
- Kilic, A. O., A. L. Honeyman, and L. Tao (2007). Overlapping substrate specificity for sucrose and maltose of two binding protein-dependent sugar uptake systems in Streptococcus mutans. FEMS Microbiol Lett 266:218-223.
- Fransen, J.N., A. Rios, J. He, G. Glickman, J. Schulman, and A.L. Honeyman (2008). Sealing ability of ActiV GP, Resilon/Epiphany, and AH Plus/Gutta Percha - a bacterial leakage study. J Endodon 34:725-727.
- Spencer, C., J. Cai, P. Buschang, P. Campbell, A.L. Honeyman (2009). The bacteriocidal effect of zinc oxide. Angle Orthod 79:317-322.
- Van Bebber, L., P.M. Campbell, A.L. Honeyman, R. Spears, P.H. Buschang (2011). Does the amount of filler content in sealants used to prevent decalcification on smooth enamel surfaces really matter? Angle Orthod 81: 134-140.
- Hess, E., P.M. Campbell, A.L. Honeyman, P.H. Buschang (2011). Determinants of enamel decalcification during simulated orthodontic treatment. Angle Orthod 81:836-842.
- Rios, A., J. He., G. Glickman, R. Spears, E. Schneiderman, A. L. Honeyman (2011). Evaluation of photodynamic therapy using a light-emitting diode lamp against Enterococcus faecalis in extracted human teeth. J Endo 37:856-859.