McCann, A. Adopting a centralized e-student assessment system at a university. Saarbrucken, Germany: VDM Verlag Dr. Mueller e.K., 2008.
Biomaterials ScienceDrs. Toru Okabe, Mari Koike and Ikuya Watanabe and Ms. Lilly Guo attended the 2008 International Association for Dental Research/Canadian Association for Dental Research 86th general session July 2-5 in Toronto.
The following oral presentations were given (the presenter is underlined):
- Krysiak A, Koike M, Okabe T. Effect of casting force on castability of titanium alloys. J Dent Res 87 (Spec Iss B):2955, 2008.
- Watanabe I, Newton P, Kurtz K. Hardness depth-profiles of laser-treated cast titanium. J Dent Res 87 (Spec Iss B):2956, 2008.
- Dogus SM, Kurtz KS, Watanabe I, Griggs JA. Engaging abutment position effect in implant retained fixed cantilevered prostheses. J Dent Res 87 (Spec Iss B):1700, 2008.
- Guo Q, Koike M, Ford P, Okabe T. Effects of Cr and Cu on castability of titanium alloys. J Dent Res 87 (Spec Iss B):1836, 2008.
- Koike M, Guo Q, Ford JP, Okabe T. Grindability of cast Ti-Al and Ti-Al-Cu alloys. J Dent Res 87 (Spec Iss B):1828, 2008.
- Newton P, Watanabe I. Deflection of cast titanium induced by laser surface treatment. J Dent Res 87 (Spec Iss B):1840, 2008.
- Sato Y, Koike M, Guo Q, Muraishi E, Hosoi T, Okabe T. Removal of cast surface of titanium by chemical treatment. J Dent Res 87 (Spec Iss B):1839, 2008.
Graduate student Mani Chopra (photo, second from left) attended the Congress of the International Federation of Shock Societies from June 28 - July 2 in Cologne, Germany, and presented two abstracts:
- Das P, Chopra M, Sharma AC. Sepsis affects the expression of Syntaxin 1A and norepinephrine transporter in the myocardium.
- Chopra M, Das P, Sharma AC. Caspase-3 knock-down in adult rat ventricular myocytes (ARVMs) ameliorates sepsis-induced blunted contractile response of norepinephrine (NE).
Dr. Rena D'Souza presented results of nanotechnology and tissue engineering research as part of the Alliance for Nanohealth at the U.S. Department of Defense’s Telemedicine and Advance Technology Research Center on Aug. 5 in Frederick, Md. She also gave a lecture in a short course on tissue engineering at Rice University in Houston on Aug. 14.
Dr. Bob Hutchins presented an abstract titled “A digital temporal bone program designed as an interactive teaching module” at the annual meeting of the American Association of Clinical Anatomists July 15-18 in Toronto.
Dr. Chunlin Qin recently gave two invited presentations in China. The first, titled "Non-collagenous proteins in dentinogenesis and osteogenesis," was given at Jilin University School of Dentistry in Changchun on July 15. The second was given July 24 at Wuhan University School of Dentistry in Wuhan. There he presented "Studies of dentinogenesis using modern molecular approaches."
Naidu A, Dechow PC, Spears R, Kessler HP, Wright JM, Opperman LA. Effects of bisphosphonates on osteoblast behavior. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 106:829-837, 2008.
Dr. Chunlin Qin has published the following articles in 2008:
- Chen S, Chen L, Jahangiri A, Chen B, Wu Y, Chuang H, Qin C, MacDougall M. Expression and process of small integrin-binding ligand N-linked glycoproteins in mouse odontoblasts. Arch Oral Biol 53:879-889, 2008.
- Huang B, Maciejewska I, Sun Y, Peng T, Qin D, Bonewald L, Maciejewska I, Butler WT, Feng J, Qin C. Full-length dentin matrix protein 1 in dentin and bone. Calcif Tissue Int 82: 401-410, 2008.
- Bernards MT, Qin C (corresponding author), Jiang S. MC3T3-E1 cell adhesion to hydroxyapatite with adsorbed bone sialoprotein, bone osteopontin, and bovine serum albumin. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 64: 236-247, 2008.
- Huang B, Sun Y, Maciejewska I, Qin D, Peng T, Mclntyre B, Wygant J, Butler WT, Qin C. Distribution of SIBLING proteins in the organic and inorganic phases of rat dentin and bone. Eur J Oral Sci 116: 104-112, 2008.
- Yao Z, Xiang L, Qin C, Schwarz EM, Boyce BF. Osteoclast precursor interaction with bone matrix induces osteoclast formation directly by an IL-1-mediated autocrine mechanism. Manuscript submitted to J Biol Chem 283: 9917-9924, 2008.
- Bernards MT, Qin C (corresponding author), Ratner BD, Jiang S. A comparison of the MC3T3-E1 adhesion properties of bone sialoprotein and bone osteopontin specifically bound to collagen I. J Biomed Mater Res A 86:779-787, 2008.
- Shibata S, Baba O, Oda T, Tamaki T, Qin C, Butler T, Sakakura Y, Takano Y. An immunohistochemical and ultrastructural study of the pericellular matrix of uneroded hypertrophic chondrocytes in the mandibular condyle of aged c-src-deficient mice. Arch Oral Biol 53:220-230, 2008.
- Dr. Bob Hutchins helped develop the testlet portion of Part I of the National Board Dental Exam in August.
- Dr. Lynne Opperman attended the Management Development Program at Harvard University June 14 - 28. The program develops leaders at their respective institutions and teaches them to lead in ways that support institutional objectives. The program’s topics included Fostering Innovation and Change, Diversity and Community, and Professional Renewal. Opperman was selected to participate in the program this past spring.
- Opperman also served as a judge for the University Startups Showcase and Competition sponsored by the National Council of Entrepreneurial Tech Transfer (NCET2) on July 10, 17 and 31 and Aug. 14. The group assesses university-based small business start-ups for their stage of readiness in the commercialization process. The competition helps entrepreneurs and universities learn how to create companies that attract more venture capital from investors and to provide connections to those investors.
General DentistryOther News
Drs. Susan Roshan and Victor Setien assisted the annual Caries Management By Risk Assessment coalition meeting in Chicago on Aug. 13 and attended the ninth annual conference of the World Congress of Minimally Invasive Dentistry in Chicago from Aug. 14 - 16.
Dr. Brent Hutson taught a one-day course June 21 at the University Commons in Austin, Texas. The title was “General dentistry considerations for the management of medically complex patients.” The course was sponsored by Carus Dental Corporation.