Department News - Dec 08/Jan 09
Dr. Kathy Svoboda gave a lecture at the Society of Craniofacial Genetics meeting in Philadelphia on Nov. 11. The title was “Visualizing palate fusion and exploring the roles of regulatory proteins.” Graduate student Dr. Wenli Yu is co-author of the presentation.
The following presentations were given at the Society for Neuroscience 38th Annual Meeting held in Washington Nov. 15-19:
- Kramer PR, Bereiter D, Bellinger LL. Forced swim stress enhances meal duration in an inflammatory model of TMJ injury in male rats.
- Puri J, Bellinger LL, Spears R, Kramer PR. Inflammatory and nociceptive genes modulated by proestrus levels of 17β-estradiol (E2) in an inflamed temporomandibular joint (TMJ).
- Bellinger LL, Wellman PJ, Harris RBS, Kelso EW, Kramer PR. The effects of chronic nicotine on body weight, food intake and metabolism of male rats.
Dr. Avadhesh Sharma is co-author of two recent publications:
- Zhao P, Sharma AC, Ren J. Pathogenesis and therapy of autoimmunity-induced dilated cardiomyopathy. Frontiers in Bioscience 14:1708-1715, 2009.
- Golden HB, Watson LE, Lal H, Verma SK, Foster DM, Kuo S, Sharma AC, Frankel A, Dostal DE. Anthrax toxin: pathologic effects on the cardiovascular system. Frontiers in Bioscience 14: 2335-2357, 2009.
Drs. Lynne Opperman and Kathy Svoboda attended the executive board meeting for the American Association of Anatomists in Arlington, Va., on Nov. 13.
Lisa Mallonee was invited to present a continuing education course Nov. 15 at the University of California, San Francisco for the Third Annual Dental Hygiene Symposium. The morning session was titled “Healthy mouth, healthy body: Healthy practice.” The afternoon session was titled “Fattening of America: What does dentistry have to do with it?”
Muhney KA, Gutmann ME, Schneiderman E, DeWald JP, McCann A, Campbell PR. The prevalence of academic dishonesty in Texas dental hygiene programs. J Dent Educ 72(11): 1247-1260, 2008.
Dr. Raghunath Puttaiah was an invited speaker at the 2008 annual meeting of the National Network for Oral Health Access on Nov. 13 in Grapevine, Texas. The NNOHA is the organization for dental providers who care for patients in migrant, homeless and community health centers.
Dr. Mohsen Taleghani was a presenter at the International Dental Meeting of the Andes, Oct. 22-25 in Merida, Venezuela.
Dr. Roger Alexander was an invited speaker at the 2008 annual meeting of the National Network for Oral Health Access on Nov. 13 in Grapevine, Texas. His topic was “Identifying the unproven, generationally-perpetuated myths of dentoalveolar surgery.”
Public Health Sciences
Bolin, KA. Assessment of treatment provided by dental health aide therapists in Alaska: A pilot study.
JADA 139: 1530-1535, 2008.
Dr. Brent Hutson gave the following presentations this fall:
- “General dentistry considerations for medically complex patient populations” on Sept. 20 for the Bethesda National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md.
- “Modern techniques of forensic dentistry and forensic bitemark analysis” on Oct. 9 for the Oak Cliff Study Club in Dallas.
- “General dentistry considerations for medically complex patient populations” and “Evidence based local anesthesia for general dentistry: Back to basics” on Nov. 12 at the 2008 annual meeting of the National Network for Oral Health Access in Grapevine, Texas.
Dr. Stanton W. Cobb spoke to the Texas A&M Spencer Leadership Conference in Dallas on Nov. 15. The conference provides leadership training by exposing 30 elite Texas A&M sophomores to leaders of business, industry, education and public services. Cobb spoke about a leader’s growth as a journey, not a destination.
Dr. Stanton W. Cobb’s 1994 art poster for the Nara Visa, N.M., Cowboy Gathering has been added to the Western Folklife Center’s walls in Elko, Nev. Cobb says he created the poster for what he calls “an old timey show” of entertainers from the West, which has been an annual event since that year.
Cobb and his wife, Pamela (DH ’81), had an article published in the November issue of the Amarillo Ronald MacDonald House newsletter to raise funds for the ongoing projects of the Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Amarillo, Inc. The article told the story of the Cobbs’ experience with the birth of their second daughter.