Student Scene - April 2009
On March 7, HSC-Baylor College of Dentistry’s American Student Dental Association hosted an event that organizers hope will become a new tradition at the college.
The first ASDA Invitational Golf Tournament was held at Cedar Crest Golf Course in Dallas.
“ASDA has been planning on putting together a tournament that could combine fundraising with a good, fun event for the entire school,” says Dusty Janssen, D4 student and ASDA president. “This has been many years in the making but with the hard work of the ASDA board, we were able to pull off a great tournament.”
The golfers formed 24 teams and competed for several prizes. The winners included:
• Lowest round (65): Joe Mayes and Ben Johnson, D4 students
• 2nd place (69): Taylor Gehring and Josh Tomasik, D4 students
• Middle of the road (77): David and Laura Hoffman, D4 student and wife team
• Best dressed: Kiley Smith and Michael Wasson, D4 students
• Longest drive: Ryan Carmichael, D2 student
• Closest to the pin: Trevor Harrison, D4 student
Janssen says the event was a success and there’s already talk about next year’s tournament.
“The day was a little windy and overcast, but it didn’t slow the spirits of the golfers,” he says. “Many have already expressed interest in playing in and sponsoring a tournament next year.”
All dental students at HSC-Baylor College of Dentistry may become members of the American Student Dental Association, which encourages graduates to become active in their local dental societies. Student membership entitles students to receive the association’s monthly journal and other membership benefits.
The ASDA’s 2008-2009 officers include:
• President: Dusty Janssen, D4 student
• External vice president: Volk Vinall, D4 student
• Internal vice president: Reann Cornell, D4 student
• Senior legislative liaison: Bryan Hasseler, D4 student
• Junior legislative liaisons: Estebon Garza, D3 student, and Ashley DeMarco, D2 student
• Newsletter editor: Elizabeth Garza, D2 student
• Fundraising chair: John Bozanich, D2 student
• Community service chair: Amir Rabi, D3 student
• Treasurer: Alana Macalik, D4 student
• 1st delegate: Rory Smith, D3 student
• 2nd delegate: Samuel Robinson, D2 student
• Alternate delegate: Garrett Stigall, D1 student
• State and local liaison: Lee Davis, D3 student
The ASDA faculty adviser is Dr. Stephen Griffin, professor and director of clinics.