Department News - October 2011
Lisa Mallonee gave four presentations at the American Dental Association Annual Session in Las Vegas this October.
The topics, presented Oct. 11-12, included:
- “Healthy Mouth, Healthy Body — Healthy Practice”;
- “Fattening of America: What's Our Role?”;
- “Women, Nutrition and Oral Health”; and
- “You Are What You Eat ... and Drink!”
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
Dr. Roger Alexander presented an eight-hour continuing education program to 250 members of the Southwest Louisiana Dental Society — an ADA component — on Sept. 16 in Lake Charles, La.
The topics included:
- “Rethinking a Sampling of Unproven Myths of Dentoalveolar Surgery”;
- “Troubleshooting Local Anesthesia Failures, Complications and Concerns”; and
- “Prevention, Recognition and Management of Common Dentoalveolar Surgery Complications.”
Public Health Sciences
Dr. K. Vendrell Rankin recently presented two programs, which included:
- “Counseling Tobacco Users” at the University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston on May 31; and
- “Counseling Tobacco Users
– Grand Rounds” at the University of Texas Health Science Center San
Dental School on Sept. 23.
Rankin KV, Jones DL. Treatment of nicotine dependence with Chantix (varenicline). Texas Dental Journal 2011 May; 128(5):457-461.
Rankin KV. Hookah smoking: a popular alternative to cigarettes. Texas Dental Journal 2011 May; 128(5):441-445.
Rankin KV. Comment on oral cancer: guest editorial. Texas Dental Journal 2011 May; 128(5):422.