Off to a running start
Members of Psi Omega, left, one of many student organizations to host welcome events in August, with more
Check out what these student organizations have planned for the fall semester
The first few weeks of class were a whirlwind, in more ways than one. Within a matter of days, D1 and DH1 students’ expressions morphed from that of blissful anticipation to hard consternation as they walked the halls of Texas A&M Health Science Center Baylor College of Dentistry.
Luckily, another sight was prevalent throughout the dental school. Flyers with familiar logos dotted the columns across multiple floors, inviting D1 students to unwind at student organization welcome events, meet their dental school classmates and get some pointers on how to make it through the year.
For those who want a better idea of what these student organizations have slated for the fall semester as well as a recap of their myriad events in August and early September — just in case you missed them — take a moment to read through the following list.
- Asian-American Dental Society hosted an Aug. 17 welcome barbecue dinner and Aug. 31 Oral-B lunch-and-learn presentation. Some events to look forward to this fall include a fundraiser at 12 p.m. on Oct. 19, at which Vietnamese sandwiches and egg rolls will be sold, as well as the Biannual Free Sealant and Prophy Day, which will run between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. on Nov. 5 in the pediatric dentistry clinic. The Holiday Celebration Banquet and White Elephant Gift Exchange will be at 6 p.m. on Dec. 5 at Blue Mesa Grill.
- Christian Medical and Dental Association hosted an Aug. 30 kickoff event at Church of the Incarnation in Dallas. Some events to look forward to this semester include a weekly Wednesday lunchtime Bible study in Room 605 and a weekly Thursday dinner at the house of Dr. Stan Cobb, associate professor of restorative sciences and CMDA regional director. Special guests will speak at the Oct. 15 and Nov. 12 ladies’ Bible study. On Nov. 4, members will purchase gifts and pack boxes for Operation Christmas Child, and on Dec. 17, they will volunteer at an Operation Care Dallas event.
- Hispanic Student Dental Association hosted an Aug. 16 welcome fiesta lunch and Aug. 26 salsa dancing night at Mambo Café. Some events to look forward to this semester include a wine and cheese night with TAMHSC-BCD alumna and HSDA past president Dr. Rosa Beck on Oct. 19, followed by Zumba classes on Oct. 25. A lunch-and-learn clinical Spanish workshop is included in the organization’s plans, and an end-of-semester dinner at La Duni Latin Café is slated for Dec. 9. On Sept. 24, members will visit Hampton Prep Charter School to provide free oral screenings and oral hygiene instruction and motivate students to pursue a college degree.
- Muslim Student Dental Association hosted a Sept. 2 celebration to commemorate the holiday of Eid, which marks the end of Ramadan. Traditional sweets, cupcakes and tea were offered as part of the festivities. Some events to look forward to this semester include the opportunity to participate in health fairs, dental screenings and sealant days throughout the semester; specific dates are pending.
- Psi Omega hosted its D1 welcome event on Aug. 15 and its Welcome Back Social for officers and members on Aug. 28. Some events to look forward to this fall include Oct. 6 and Nov. 9 Happy Hour events and a December gala. Dates for volunteer opportunities including a canned food drive and visits to Nexus Recovery Center in East Dallas are pending.
- Student American Dental Hygienists’ Association hosted an Aug. 12 welcome session during orientation, at which Dallas Dental Hygienists’ Society President Chrissy Samples ’07 gave students an overview of the professional organization, and student chapter officer introductions were made. Some events to look forward to this semester include lunch-and-learn events with industry representatives Johnson & Johnson on Nov. 8 and Designs for Visions on Dec. 6.
- Student National Dental Association hosted an Aug. 18 grill out event at Exall Park and Aug. 25 kickoff meeting with food and information about the year’s events. Events to look forward to this semester include a community health fair on Oct. 1 and Skate Night Social on Oct. 13. A canned food drive will be in November and the holiday and alumni dinner is slated for December. Exact dates are pending.
- Student Research Group will host a series of lunch and learns covering how D1s can get involved with student research, locate outside research opportunities and find mentors. Specific dates are pending.
- Texas Association of Women Dentists hosted its new members’ meeting on Aug. 24 and will have Cheese and Wine Night — its first fall semester social — on Sept. 29. On Oct. 15, the organization will participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, and on Oct. 29, members will attend the annual Girl’s Night Out Dinner at Mattito’s Tex Mex.
If would like to see your group’s upcoming events listed, please email BCD-BDR-Online@bcd.tamhsc.edu.
From photo, top: Psi-O-Nara Senior Banquet in May (back row, left to right) D2 Jenn Du, D2 Naveen Karim, D2 Marilee Young, Associate Professor of Diagnostic Sciences and Psi-O Adviser Dr. Gary Coleman, and D2 Marie Padua. (Front row, left to right) D2 Ari Valverde, D2 Cathy Trevino and TAMHSC-BCD alumnus Rudy Garza.