Department News - April 2010
At the March 2010 American Dental Education Association Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C., Dr. Ann McCann gave two presentations with colleagues from Texas A&M Health Science Center Baylor College of Dentistry:
- Drs. Ann McCann, Suzi Seale and Barbara Miller presented the Presidential Symposia titled "Changing institutional culture through planning and assessment."
- Drs. Ann McCann and Bob Hinton presented a Lunch and Learn titled "Creating the future for your dental school through strategic planning and assessment."
Dr. Bob Hutchins gave the following presentations at the 2010 American Dental Education Association meeting in Washington, D.C., in March:
- Lambert HW, Atsas S, Gould DJ, and Hutchins B. Assessing trends in teaching dental students gross anatomy and neuroanatomy: Survey results from North American basic science course directors. Journal of Dental Education (2010).
- Philley A, Hutchins B, and Schneiderman ED. Peer teaching and performance on practical anatomy exams on dissected versus non-dissected structures. Journal of Dental Education (2010).
- Challman S, Thomas M, Wathen W, Stein P, Hutchins B. Dental grand rounds without walls: harnessing the potential of virtual worlds (second life). Journal of Dental Education (2010).
Dr. Robert Hinton organized and chaired a symposium at the ADEA meeting on March 3 titled "Other voices: integration of research and scholarship within the dental curriculum REVISITED."
The following presentations were given between March 3-7 by biomedical sciences faculty and staff at the American Association for Dental Research meeting in Washington, D.C.:
Dr. Larry Bellinger. "Meal duration; a measure of tooth and temporomandibular joint nociception."
Dr. Hieu Cao. "Newly generated DMP1 mutant model mimics human ARHR disease."
Dr. Paul Dechow. "Histomorphometric differences in cortical bone after mandibular distraction osteogenesis."
Dr. Rena D'Souza. "Runx2 indirectly regulates RGFR2 expression."
Dr. Jerry Feng. "Regulation of pi homeostasis by DMP1 and PHEX."
Dr. Lilly Guo. "Wedge-castability of titanium castings made with an investment coating method."
Dr. Hui Kong. "Activation of Bmp4 expression in tooth bud mesenchyme."
Dr. Yongbo Lu. "Runx2 regulates FGF3/10 through controlling E12/47 expression in dental mesenchyme."
Dr. Gabriele Mues. "Interaction of Pax9 with modeodomain proteins during odontogenesis."
Dr. Joyti Puri. "17-β Estradiol modulates GABA(A) receptorα6 expression in inflamed temporomandibular joint."
Dr. Symone San Miguel. "Antioxidants promote proliferation of human gingival and periodontal ligament fibroblasts."
Dr. Maria Serrano. "Nicotine down-regulated Rac GTP and decreased cell migration."
Dr. Yao Sun. "Cleavage-site residue substitution blocks processing of DMP1 in vivo."
Dr. Kathy Svoboda. "Epithelial-mesenchymal transformation during craniofacial development."
Dr. Ying Wang. "Functional evaluation of Msx1 missense mutations."
Dr. Wang Xiaofang. "The expression of FAM20C (DMP4) during odontogenesis and osteogenesis."
Dr. Yanping Zhang. "Identification of mechanisms regulating endothelin - a receptor expression."
Dr. Qinglin Zhu. "Cleavage-site residue substitution blocks processing of dentin sialophosphoprotein in vivo."
Dr. Jayne Reuben served as a judge for the neuroscience presentations at the 2009 Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students, Nov. 4-7 in Phoenix, Ariz. ABRCMS is the largest professional conference for students in the biomedical and behavioral sciences and is designed to encourage underrepresented minority students to pursue advanced training and provide faculty with resources for facilitating student success.
Lisa Mallonee was invited to present 6 hours of continuing education courses for the West Coast District Dental Society annual meeting in St. Petersburg, Fla., on Feb. 5. She presented "Fattening of America: What DOES dentistry have to do with it?" and "Healthy mouth, healthy body, healthy practice!"
Mallonee also was invited to speak at the 2010 Hinman Meeting in Atlanta, Ga., March 25-27. She presented the following courses: "You ARE what you eat and drink!"; "The ABCs of basic nutrition"; "What DOES diet and nutrition have to do with dentistry?"; "Fattening of America: What DOES dentistry have to do with it?"; and "Healthy mouth, healthy body, healthy practice!"
At the American Association for Dental Research meeting in Washington, D.C., in March, Dr. Takashi Komabayashi gave a presentation on dentin permeability reduction by a fluoride-calcium-phosphate treatment.
The following faculty presented at the American Association for Dental Research meeting:
- Dr. Raed Ajlouni spoke about "Curing protocol effect on orthodontic brackets bond strength."
- Dr. Susan Roshan spoke about the "Success rate of single-tooth implant restorations in an academic environment."
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Dr. Roger Alexander, professor emeritus, was a substitute speaker for Dr. Patricia Blanton on Jan. 21 at the 2010 Southwest Dental Conference in Dallas. His topic was "Troubleshooting local anesthesia failures, complications and concerns."
Alexander also gave a presentation to the Irving Dental Study Club on March 9. His topic was "Third molars: what should you tell your patients and why?"
Lepley C, Throckmorton G, Parker S, and Buschang PH. Masticatory performance and chewing cycle kinematics - are they related? Angle Orthodontist 80(2):295-301, 2010.
Liu SS, Opperman LA, and Buschang PH. Effects of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 on midsagittal sutural bone formation during expansion. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics 136(6): 768.e1-768.e8, 2009.
Liu YP, Behrents RG, Buschang PH. Mandibular growth, remodeling, and maturation during infancy and early childhood. Angle Orthodontist 80(1):97-105, 2010.
Park H, Boley JC, Alexander RA, and Buschang PH. Age-related long-term posttreatment occlusal and arch changes. Angle Orthodontist 80(2):247-253, 2010.
Pickard MB, Dechow P, Rossouw PE, and Buschang PH. Effects of miniscrew orientation on implant stability and resistance to failure. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics 137:91-99, 2010.
At the American Association for Dental Research meeting in Washington, D.C., in March, Dr. Etsuko Watanabe gave a presentation on "Deflection load characteristics of laser-welded orthodontic wires."
Drs. Mari Koike, Toru Okabe and Ikuya Watanabe attended the 2010 American Association for Dental Research meeting in Washington, D.C., March 3-6. During the meeting Dr. Koike served as a session chair.
These faculty members presented at the AADR meeting:
- Dr. Ali Bolouri spoke about his research on the "Trabecular microarchitecture of the browridge in select primates."
- Guo L, Koike M, Cecconi M, Cecconi B, Martinez K, Okabe T. Wedge-castability of titanium castings made with an investment coating method. Journal of Dental Research 89 (Special Issue A): No.1354 (2010).
- Khouja N, Chu T, Chahine G, Kovacevic R, Koike M, Okabe T. In vivo evaluation of novel experimental implants. Journal of Dental Research 89 (Special Issue A): No.1103 (2010).
- Koike M, Hummel S, Ball J, Martinez K, Guo L, Okabe T. Fabrication of titanium denture frameworks with an investment coating method. Journal of Dental Research 89 (Special Issue A): No.666 (2010).
- Martinez K, Koike M, Okabe T. Effect of investment materials on mechanical properties of cast titanium. Journal of Dental Research 89 (Special Issue A): No.667 (2010).
- Dr. Kim Perry presented "Community relationships improve oral health outcomes for low-income children."
- Stigall G, Watanabe E, Elshahawy W, Watanabe I. Fracture Resistance of Laser-Welded Orthodontic Wires. Journal of Dental Research 89 (Special Issue A): No.788 (2010).
- Watanabe E, Stigall G, Elshahawy W, Watanabe I. Deflection Load Characteristics of Laser-welded Orthodontic Wires. Journal of Dental Research 89 (Special Issue A): No.791 (2010).
- Porter ML, Bertό A, Watanabe I. Physical and chemical properties of new-generation endodontic materials. Journal of Endodontics 36(3):524-528 (2010).